Thursday, March 8, 2012

In praise of stay at home moms...

I have been reading the book In Praise of Stay at Home Moms by Dr. Laura.  This book has only given me more validation and conviction that being at home with my little girl, as much as possible, is the most important thing I could be doing right now.  


In her book, among many topics, Dr. Laura discusses the controversy of staying at home.  Moms who work often feel that stay at home moms are lazy, while moms who stay at home often say moms who work, don't have their priorities straight.  


My take on it?  To each their own.  You do what is right for your family. 


For my family, working part-time has worked out well in that is has provided me with much needed health insurance, as well as enough income to save money each month.  Plus, I love teaching kindergarten.  It would be hard to give up teaching completely. 

As my friend Kristen has said many times, "Teaching part-time is the best of both worlds.  You get to be in your classroom, fulfilling your passion of teaching, but you still get to spend most days at home with your kids."  I couldn't agree more. 

In the beginning though, I won't lie, I had a complete anxiety attack about leaving Caroline.  All I wanted to do was stay home with her.  She also had an awful run of colic until she was about three months old, and my worst fear was that someone would get frustrated with her fussiness all out screaming for hours on end.  

(By the way, if you, or someone you know has a baby with colic, the only thing that saved our sanity was the book The Happiest Baby on the Block by Dr. Harvey Karp.  RUN and get a copy now!)



But as it turned out, an amazing lady came into our lives.  She was recommended to us by two good friends of ours.  Joe and I never wanted to put our kids in daycare, but now we look at it as Caroline getting to go play with her friends a couple days a week.  I think of her caregiver as Mary Poppins and she is a blessing that I do not take for granted for a single second.  Caroline, and the other kids, love her so much and it is obvious the second you walk in her door. 


So you might ask, "Why are you reading a book about stay at home moms, if you aren't one?"  Dr. Laura really has some great insight and advice about the often overlooked "job" of running a household.  People (ahem... many people in our society these days it seems) often don't realize that keeping a house clean, making healthy, home cooked meals, playing with your children, running errands and making a house a home is a full time job.   

If you need some inspiration, you might enjoy this book.  I love Dr. Laura's straight forward attitude about what women really think. 

Praise be to all moms!  We all work full time... and then some. 

No comments:

Post a Comment