Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Walking the walk...


I read a post tonight over at Frugal Living Northwest and thought I would share it with all of you.  It is really easy to talk the talk, but it is a lot harder to walk the walk... especially when it comes to living simple and being content.   

We were driving the other day and I read a church sign that said, "Happiness is wanting what you have."  and I had a moment.   A moment where I was like, "Yes!  Yes!   I get it.  I so get it."  

It is so easy to get caught up in the, "I want..." game that the lines between "I want," and "I need," become blurred.  And let me tell you, from experience, that can be dangerous.  

I am not here to judge.  I am also not here to romanticize frugality.  Everyone likes new and shiny.  Yes, me too.  Bring on my new 2012 Honda Accord, please.  (Ha!  Maybe someday in retirement!)  

Lifestyle just becomes a game of priorities and self control.  Even after going through Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University (Best.  Decision.  Ever.  See more about that here) and changing our whole outlook on pretty much everything, I still need a little reminding.  What really matters?  What are our long term goals? (ugh- these aren't always as rewarding and fun as those short term goals). 

Need a little frugal inspiration?  Take a moment to see what the lovely Kari Patterson has to say here.   Her words are worth their weight in gold. 

Photo credit: http://www.miller-mccune.com/business-economics/being-frugal-may-be-more-genetic-than-learned-31479/

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michala! Thanks so much for your kind comment over at FLNW and this post! I love hearing your story of paying off $20K! Wow, love that. And, well... you and your hubby are about the cutest thing I've ever seen. :) Great site, keep it up!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Following you back, thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete