Monday, February 13, 2012

Coupon Trip : 82% Savings with Doublers!


It is a great time to coupon at Albertsons!  Not only did we get "Doublers" (Twice the Value Coupons) in the paper, but there are also a ton of promos going on where if you buy specific items- you get Catalinas (Catalinas are like cash to spend at Albies- technically they are manufacture coupons abbreviated CAT that print after you pay, like a receipt). 

Catalinas look like this:

This is what I bought at Albertsons this week with my Twice the Value Coupons:


I spent a total of $13.82

Without savings promos or coupons, it would have cost $64.19

That is a savings of 82%

Albertsons will match any coupon up to a value of $1.00 with their Twice the Value (TTV) coupons.  For example, if you have a $.50/1 coupon, it is now worth $1.00, $.75 is now worth $1.50 and $1.00 is now worth $2.00.  If the face value of your coupon is more than $1.00- you are out of luck.


I did six different transactions, because Albies will only let you use three double coupons per transaction.  I like to go to self checkout so I don't hold up the lines and so I can make sure I am grouping my products correctly to maximize my savings.  By this I mean I like to buy the items that generate a CAT first, so I can then use these CATs on my next transactions.  This way, I am spending less out of pocket (OOP).  Some weeks Albertsons does not offer CATs, you just have to look through their ad to see what promos they are running.

My shopping trip went like this:

Transaction 1:
Buy 2 Mission Tortillas: $4.00
Buy 2 Kikkoman Teriyaki  Sauce $2.29
Subtotal: $8.58 (not including tax)

Coupons used: 
(1) $1/2 Mission products (Peelie found on product at store- $1.00 off two items)
(2) $1/1 Kikkoman Product (you can print yours here)
Plus 3 Albertson Doublers ( - $3.00)
Total after coupons: $2.58 + $.34 tax = $2.92

After I paid, received a $1 CAT (for buying 2 mission products, and YES these can be doubled on anything!) and a $1.50 CAT for buying 2 Kikkoman products

Total for this transaction after calculating in CATs: $.42
And if you consider I can double the $1 CAT, I really earned a net $.58 

Transaction 2:
Buy 2 Kettle Chips: $6.00
Buy 1 Maybelline New York Mascara (clearance bonus buy): $4.64
Subtotal: $10.64 (not including tax)

Coupons used:
(2) $1/1 Kettle Chips
(1) $1/1 Maybelline Mascara
Plus 3 Albertson Doublers (- $3.00)
- $1.50 CAT (from Kikkoman products - can be used like cash at Albies)
Total after coupons: $1.87 + $.38 tax = $2.25

After I paid, I received a $1 CAT (for buying 2 Kettle Chips, and YES these can be doubled  on anything!)

Total for this transaction after calculating in CATs: $1.25
And if you consider I can double the $1 CAT, I really spent $.25 


Transaction 3:
Buy 4 Cheerios: 4 / $10
    ***Promo: Buy 4 specific GM items in store, get FREE milk Catalina AND a $2 Catalina at checkout!
Buy 2 packs of Wrigley Stride Gum: $1.25
Subtotal: $12.50 (not including tax)

Coupons used:
(2) $1/2 GM cereals (print yours here)
(1) $1/2 Stride Gum
Plus 3 Albertson Doublers (- $3.00)
Total after coupons: $6.50 + $.57 tax = $7.07

After I paid, I got back a $2 CAT (for buying 4 Cheerios) and a CAT for a FREE gallon of milk (any milk, up to $4.29 value)
Total for this transaction after calculating in CATs: $5.07 plus $4.29 FREE milk!

Transaction 4:
Buy 2 Mt. Olive Pickles: $5.00
Buy 2 Albertsons Cream Chicken Soup: $1.00
Buy 1 gallon milk: $2.59
Subtotal: $8.59 (not including tax)

Coupons used:
(2) $1/1 Mt. Olive Product
$1 CAT (received from buying 2 Kettle Chips)
CAT for Free Milk ( - $2.59)
Plus 3 Albertson Doublers (- $3.00)
Total after coupons: $0.00 + $.28 tax = $0.28 (LOVE free groceries!  I just paid tax!)

Transaction 5:
Buy 8 Albertsons Cream Chicken Soup: $4.00
Subtotal: $4.00 (not including tax)


Coupons used:
(1) $1 CAT for buying Mission Products (this can be used on anything in the store!)
(1) $2 CAT for Buying 4 Cheerios
Plus 1 Albertson Doubler ( - $1.00)
Total after coupons: $0.00 + $.18 tax = $0.18 (LOVE free groceries!  I just paid tax!)

Transaction 6:
Buy 2 Starkist Tuna Pouches: $3.00
Subtotal: $3.00 (not including tax)

Coupons used:
(2) $.50/1 Starkist Pouches
Plus 2 Albertson Doublers ( - $1.00)
Total after coupons: $1.00 + $.18 tax = $1.18

After I paid, I got back another $1 CAT (for purchasing 2 Starkist products)

Total for this transaction after calculating in CATs: FREE- I just paid $.18 in tax, but if you consider I can turn around and double this $1 CAT, it is really a moneymaker :)

 Unless I provided a link to print specific coupons, all my coupons came from the Sunday paper.  However, they may have come in papers a few weeks ago.  This is why I cut coupons each week to put in my binder, because I may not use them right away.  


I spent probably two hours cutting these coupons, planning my trip and shopping.  But if you figure that I spent $13.64 OOP and it would have cost $64.19 - that is a savings of $50.37.  I will get paid $25 an hour anytime - while my little girl takes a nap and I listen to Dr. Oz as I clip my coupons :)

No comments:

Post a Comment