Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Super Adorable Curly-Cue Hair Bow ( Easy D I Y )


These bows are super easy to make, and the possibilities are endless!



 My little girl was born with a full head of hair.  When she was a newborn, I can't tell you how many times the first thing someone would say was, "Wow!  She has a TON of hair!  You must have had bad heartburn when you were pregnant!"  

Except I never had heart burn.  Not once. 

Caroline, hours old with her Grandmama, and yup- that would be a bow in her hair! 

Besides being cute, soft, and fuzzy, the great part about my daughter's lovely locks are that I get to play with all sorts of hair pretties!  A good friend of mine made a bunch of these curly-cue bows and used them to decorate a diaper cake for a baby shower.  It was the cutest thing I have ever seen!  


What you need:

  •  Ribbon (I like to use different colors, patterns and widths/sizes)
  • Wooden dowels
  • Hairspray (any kind will work)
  • Hot glue
  • Alligator clips
  • Needle and thread
  • Clothespins (I use mini wood ones)
  • Lighter/matches
  • Buttons/Jewels (optional)
  • Preheat over to 300 degrees

I bought a "variety pack" that has different sizes.  This way your ribbon will curl differently, which looks super cute.  The smaller the dowel, the tighter the curl.


First, clip the end of the ribbon to a dowel with a clothespin and starting wrapping!


Once you reach the end of the dowel, cut the ribbon and secure the other end with a clothespin as well.  Spray the entire length of the ribbon/dowel with hairspray.


Place the dowel on a cookie sheet (covered in tinfoil is optional).  Do these several times, with however many different kinds of ribbon you wish to use.  Sometimes I just do a bunch at once, and keep some for later use.
  
I rotate the clothespins, so one is parallel, and one is perpendicular to the cookie sheet.  This way to ribbon rests off of the tinfoil while baking.
 Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, depending on how hot your over cooks.  My oven always cooks things super fast when I follow recipes, so I just leave my ribbon in for 10 minutes.  

Take the cookie sheet out of the oven and let it cool for about 15 minutes.  Then unclip the clothespins and remove your ribbon.  It will be adorably curly!



I pick out a few (3-5) coordinating ribbons to use and cut them.  Usually cutting them into about thirds works well.  It looks cute to do them all a little different lengths.


Now it is time to use your needle and thread (tip- I use quilter's thread because it is stronger).  Tie a knot on one end of your thread.  

Take three of the same ribbons and layer them criss-cross.  Poke the needle through each layer of ribbon and then back through to where you started.  Tie a not to secure.



 You are going to do this same step with each set of ribbon (layer, sew, secure with a knot.)  I chose the yellow ribbon next.




As you layer your ribbon, you can play with the arrangement.  There is no right or wrong way!  I play with it until it looks cute.  Then add your last set of ribbon!




 I tie a knot each time I add a set of ribbon.  After all your ribbon has been added, and you tied it off with a knot, go ahead and cut your thread.  You are done with the sewing part!  

Next, you will make a heat seal at the end of each ribbon so they do not fray.  I use a lighter, but some people prefer lighting a candle.

 
Then I pick out a button or jewel to use in the center to hide the thread marks.  Secure with hot glue. 

The bow is done now!  So cute, huh?  Now it is time to attach it to the alligator clip.  I like to cover the clip in ribbon first.  Start by heat sealing the end of the ribbon.  Then hot glue one end of the ribbon to inside of the clip.


You will slowly glue and wrap the ribbon all the way around the back of the clip.  



Once you reach the end of the other side, cut the ribbon leaving an extra inch or so that you will wrap around the point and glue to the inside (like how you started, but on the opposite side).



Heat seal the end of the ribbon where you just cut.  Then glue the end of the ribbon to the inside of the clip.  

You are ready to now attach the clip to your curly-cue bow!  Simply hot glue the clip to the back of your bow.  Hold firmly until the glue cools to ensure a secure attachment.  



You can clip the bow to a headband or clip it straight into your little munchkin's hair!

 
My Sweet Caroline being a good sport for me!

"Okay Mom, enough with the pictures."
"I'm outta here!"

They are like little present bows to top the greatest gift in the world :)



11 comments:

  1. What a great tutorial! I love these bows...I'll def be making these for my sweet girl. Your lil model is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute...Thanks for Linking up @CountryMommaCooks….Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome tutorial and cute model:) I just had my first girl so need to try! tiffany@vintagemarigold.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great tutorial and very cute headband and model! Now if only my 3-year-old would let me do anything with her hair. It doesn't happen anymore. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great tutorial! Your little one is darling! Funny thing, I had tons of heartburn and both of mine had barely any hair! :) I can't wait to make a few of these bows!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are adorable and I totally thought they were a lot harder to make. I am trying this for sure. I am a new follower visiting from Young and Crafty. Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! Curly cues are so fun to make.. and so cute too! :)

    Thanks for linking up to Financial Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, boy is she cute!! And so is that bow! I never knew you could curl ribbon that way! Thanks for the great tutorial...although I'm not sure when I'll get to use it since I just have a 3 yr old boy, lol. Thanks so much for sharing at our shine on fridays party. You have a cute blog and an adorable little one! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello cute Michala!!! I just wanted to let you know I am featuring this at the link party today!!!

    http://twoyellowbirdsdecor.blogspot.com/2012/02/thursdays-temptation-link-party-3-some.html
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tutorial. they are so cute. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic! We are making hairbows for orphans and I was wondering how to do these. Cannot wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete